Artist impression of how the sculpture will look, situated close to Newgate Street and Christchurch Greyfriars Church Garden.
We are delighted to announce that a striking new public sculpture is being created to commemorate Christ’s Hospital’s 350 years presence in the City of London 1552-1902.
The new bronze sculpture, 2.4m long and 1.5m high, will be very visible to the passer-by, positioned close to where CH was originally founded. The artist, Andrew Brown, a renowned sculptor with many public commissions in his portfolio, was selected following an open competition.
The design of the sculpture will give ‘life’ to the essence of CH and its vision. It will reflect themes relating to the past generations of children and its on-going vision of providing education for children of promise regardless of means. It will show children marching in their famous Tudor uniform. The back of the sculpture facing the garden will feature a copper plate drawing of the Priory buildings before CH began to occupy the site in 1552, coupled with an extract from a poem by former pupil, Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
This striking sculpture not only serves as recognition of our relationship with the City which remains active today, but also CH's mission in perpetuity.
We are now half way to meeting our fundraising target and are very grateful for any donations. https://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/support-us/donate-now/