Christ’s Hospital School Library is stunningly positioned on the top floor of the new Language and Resource Centre (LARC) facility, with superb views over the school’s grounds on all sides. It houses the school’s main lending collection of printed resources to support reading and learning. New acquisitions can be suggested at any time by pupils and staff.
All pupils in each of their first 4 years enjoy one dedicated reading period per week, and are supported and encouraged to foster a reading habit. Literacy is promoted as a key foundation for all learning. All resources are searchable school-wide on the VLE. We use a biometric RFID self-service system and security gates.
Facilities and Use
The Main Library offers the following facilities:
- Over 5000 Fiction books and 13,000 Non-Fiction books
- 8 PCs and a Wifi network for use with personal devices
- 30 journals
- Access to a range of high-quality academic online databases
- Inter-Library loan facility for specialist materials
- Study seating for 80 and casual seating for 48
Staff: The staff team have a broad knowledge of all our resources, and are available to help and advise at all times.
Ms Fiona MacKenzie MA (Arts) DipLib Dip EdTech MCLIP CELTA
- Library Director, 2004 – present
- Many years’ experience working in school libraries in Scotland and Yorkshire. Also previously worked setting up school libraries and training school librarians for a charitable NGO in Lesotho; as a Library Consultant for the British Council in Uganda; and as a private TEFL teacher
- Co-curricular: Junior Book Club and Senior Yoga
Ms Christine Clark (BA Hons English and History, University of Leeds)
Assistant Librarian since September 2016
- Worked as a TEFL teacher in Spain as well as working for many years in book publishing, both fiction and non-fiction. Most recently worked in education supporting literacy and establishing a new school library.
- Enjoys walking (preferably in the Nepalese Himalayas, but the Sussex countryside is more convenient), gardening, spending time with her three teenage children, and avoiding housework.
Ms Charlotte Bassett-Chan MA(Oxon) LRAM ARCM PGDipRAM PGCE
Library Assistant since September 2018
- Worked as a violinist and classroom music teacher, before deciding that her real passion is for books, and inspiring young people to read.
- Plays chamber music with friends every week, and gives frequent concerts and recitals. Loves travelling to vibrant European cities, walking in the Sussex countryside, and relaxing with her husband and two children in front of an open fire.
Library Office Telephone: 01403 247473
Library staff team email: Library@christs-hospital.org.uk
We aim to:
1. Provide a challenging yet supportive environment that stimulates a lively, enquiring mind and an interest in reading and learning;
2. Encourage independent learning and co-operative endeavour;
3. Deliver a progressive programme of transferable information skills;
4. Support teaching methods, class and individual needs with carefully selected stock to allow all pupils equal access to both general and specific sources of information;
5. Offer resources that contribute towards pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.