Our Timeline

1552 The first 380 children are admitted to Christ’s Hospital in November
1553 Edward VI signs the Royal Charter founding Christ’s, St Thomas’s and Bridewell Hospitals
1566 First CH Scholar goes to Oxbridge
1582 Christ’s Hospital is given charge over licensing Cars and Carts in the City of London (ended in 1838)
1629 The Amicable Society of Blues is formed (the oldest dining club in the world still in existence)
1666 London Buildings destroyed in the Great Fire of London. All children survive
1673 Royal Mathematical School (RMS) is given its Royal Charter by King Charles II
1676 Samuel Pepys, instrumental in the early development of the RMS, is made a Governor of Christ’s Hospital
1682 Site is acquired in Hertford which was to remain as a CH boarding school for 300 years
1682 South Front is rebuilt, designed by Sir Christopher Wren. His entrance portico survives at Horsham
1687 The Parish Church of Christ Church, adjoining Christ’s Hospital and used for its worship, is rebuilt to designs by Sir Christopher Wren. The spire, added in 1704, is the only part which survives
1690 Antonio Verrio completes his massive painting celebrating the founding of the RMS. It still hangs in the Dining Hall, and gives its name to the Verrio Tours of the school for members of the public
1695 The Writing School is built at the expense of Sir John Moore, President of CH from 1684 to 1702
1705 The rebuilding after the Great Fire of the main parts of the London site is completed
1720 John and Frances West, who feature amongst the school’s greatest benefactors, fund the continuing Wests’ Gifts
1778 All girls join the younger boys in Hertford, where all CH girls were to be educated until 1985
1781 Start of the Golden Age, when Coleridge, Lamb and Leigh Hunt are at CH
1793 Start of the second great rebuilding of the London site, which was completed in 1836
1800 Christ’s Hospital introduces its own currency (known as Housey Money) which was used until 1862
1826 RMS boys draw the tickets at the State Lottery for the last time, having done so since at least 1710
1829 Opening of the Great Hall. An organ is acquired for the Great Hall, now in Big School at Horsham
1837 Senior Grecian gives a Loyal Address to Queen Victoria in accordance with ancient custom
1845 Visit by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to a Public Supper at Christ’s Hospital
1854 George, Duke of Cambridge, is appointed the first Royal President of Christ’s Hospital
1868 The School Band is formed
1891 New Scheme of Administration for running Christ’s Hospital is introduced
1892 System of fees being paid for education is first introduced
1897 Foundation stone is laid at Horsham by Edward, Prince of Wales
1902 All boys move to Horsham and girls take over the whole of the Hertford site
1912 Corbett Wilson, aeronaut, lands at Christ’s Hospital on his way from Paris to Farnborough
1913 Frank Brangwyn begins to paint the 16 murals in the Chapel, completed in 1923
1920 War Memorial is unveiled. At least 358 Old Blues and 25 members of staff gave their lives
1930 New Science School is opened by the Prince of Wales
1932 Dominions Library is opened by the Lord Mayor of London, Sir Maurice Jenks
1946 First memorial Service for those who died in the Second World War. 213 Old Blues gave their lives
1948 First full Beating Retreat ceremony takes place at the school, a continuing tradition
1951 CH wins the Public Schools rugby sevens tournament
1953 Senior Grecian gives Loyal address to Queen Elizabeth II
1966 Preparatory School for boys under 11 is closed and is renamed Leigh Hunt
1972 Demolition of the original Christ’s Hospital station buildings
1974 The band plays at the Lord Mayor’s show for the first time, a continuing tradition today
1974 The Theatre building is completed
1985 Closure of school at Hertford and the merger of the girls’ school with the boys’ school at Horsham
1987 The school’s Community Action Programme is established
1990 The Sports Centre is opened by the Duke of Gloucester, the President of Christ’s Hospital
1994 The CH Museum is opened by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu
1998 The Housing development at Bluecoat Pond is established
2001 Separate Houses are built for the Grecians
2003 Visit to the school by its Patron, Her Majesty the Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh
2015 Language and Resource Centre (LARC) opened
2019 150th Celebration of the founding of the CH Band